Sunday, January 8, 2012

Cravings throughout my pregnancy

It's funny because when I thought about getting pregnant I always wondered what kinds of weird cravings I would have.  This post is really just for me to remember the little things that I craved so if it's boring I apologize.

In the very beginning I had no cravings what so ever. I felt great, no morning sickness no nothing.  Brian even asked me one morning, aren't you supposed to be sick? That was short lived. We told our parents on Father's Day and I was 7 weeks along.  My first major food aversion was pineapple and that started the same day.  It seemed like as soon as we told eveyone I got sick.  I had morning sickness for about 3 weeks straight.  It was so bad that I had to cut back hours at work and could not think of anything to eat.  The only thing I wanted was a baked potato and the only place to get one was Wendys.  I went there so often that the lady that works the drive thru recognizes me now.   In the morning at work I would force myself to eat a toasted english muffins with peanut butter and a glass of milk.  

It's funny because at lunch time I would have to look at pictures of food to see what looked good and what didn't so I knew what would settle ok in my stomach... Well that was really tough because more often then naught nothing looked good.   I remember one time the only thing that sounded good was a steak quesadilla from Taco Bell and the closest one to my work was 20 minutes away.  I remember getting to the drive thru and being so hungry and cranky that I wanted to yell at the cars in front of me, "Can you PLEASE hurry up?!? I am going to die if I don't get this quesadilla in the next minute!!! Don't you know that I am pregnant here?!"  For breakfast everyday after the first month or so all I wanted were english muffins and eggs, i could literally eat it for every meal.  Saltines didn't work, ginger ale didn't work, all the usual remedies didn't work for my nausea

After I learned I was pregnant with twins I downloaded a book called What to expect with Twins, Triplets and Quads.  In it the author talks about gaining weight and how crucial it is to gain it in the first and second trimester.  They recommend eating hig fat meals, for example, for lunch you should eat a cheeseburger, fries and a milkshake. Sounds awesome right?! Well it wasn't. I followed their recommended diet for one day which included a big breakfast, hearty "snack" (which includes a bowl of cereal or a large muffin with milk, those are meals for me normally), then that stellar lunch I described, another hearty "snack" and then a big dinner.... It was the first time out of maybe 3 times that I threw up. My body couldn't handle that kind of diet even for a day... So from then on I decided I would only eat what sounded good and when I was hungry. 

I craved Del Combo Burritos from Del Taco, hamburgers, MEAT, enoug said.  Then for a while all I wanted was pizza and pasta with tomato sauce. For about two weeks Oreos were a big deal, i could eat a whole sleeve in one sitting with milk however I limited myself to half a sleeve a day ha! Then it switched to cereal and milk, I was drinking whole milk like it was going out of style. I would go through two gallons a week! 

For the first two trimesters I wasn't craving anything sweet, the sight of sugar just churned my stomach.  Once the doctor handed me my glucose juice and told me to drink it at the next appointment all of the sudden my eyes were wide open and searching for sugar. I wanted milk shakes, cookies, brownies, cinnamon rolls, etc. So strange. 

I do have healthy cravings like Cutie oranges, roasted tomatoes, strawberries, etc.

Now that I am 36 weeks my cravings change day to day, right now it's brownies, two days ago it was the pork barbicoa salad from cafe rio, before that it was crunchy tacos from del taco, then eggs, etc.

This has been quite the roller coaster and I am so excited for it to be over!!

1 comment:

Jessica Lynn Perkins said...

This was fun to read! I am just getting through those fun stages where nothing sounds good, I dread eating, OR I will eat the same thing over and over again. For a while it was chicken soft tacos from Del Taco and OF COURSE it was the same lady working every single time I went (sometimes multiple times a day). I'm looking forward to food sounding good again. Ugh.