Wednesday, May 18, 2011

It's Raining, It's Pouring...-Day 5

Yup you guessed it, more rain... And today it came down in buckets!

We got up, got ready and headed over to the Statan Island Ferry. When we came up from the subway we walked right into filming of the show White Collar, at least that's what I think it was... It was pretty cool seeing all the cameras and the actors doing the same scene over and over again... Haha.

Onto the Statue of Liberty! There was a light sprinkle when we left the hotel this morning so I brought my umbrella... When we got to the ferry the rain had started coming down a lot harder but still nothing terrible. We got to the statue around 945 am and it was awesome! I finally felt like I was in NYC, not that I didn't before it's just this made it even more complete! Brian was awesome and made reservations for us to climb to the crown more than 3 months in advance! They only allow 300 people up it a day so we felt pretty special. When we climbed the 300+ stairs we were happy to be the only tourists in the crown at the time. We had it all to ourselves! Unfortunately once we got up there the first downpour happened... It was pouring so hard that we couldn't even see out the windows... Luckily right before we were going to descend it stopped... Just long enough for us to stick our heads out of the windows and get a picture.

Afterwards we headed to Ellis Island where we walked around and took in all the exhibits and history. We spent time looking up Brians ancestors and my ancestor only to learn that there are a lot of things we don't know about out own heritage... Need to break put the genealogy and start learning.

Once we were finished there we went outside to get on the ferry back to NYC... That's when the heavens opened up and Mother Nature decided we needed another shower... Lucky us... Now there are a couple huge bummers about this... 1-we were not wearing proper clothing... Brian had a sweatshirt and jeans and I had leggings and my sweater Ugg boots oh and a winter coat that is definitely NOT water resistant. 2- it was still super early in the day so we weren't going home for a long while and last but not least 3-I had accidentally left our umbrella back with miss liberty (second one I lost this trip, the first was at the Yankee/Red Socks game...) so we got soaked!! My shoes are literally sopping wet, my dress and leggings drenched and my jacket gained 10 lbs of water weight from being held over my head... Super!! AND if this wasn't enough we went from the dock straight over to Little Italy and China town for about 5 seconds... Not counting the 35
minute dinner we had at a little place called Da Nico. I had the Spaghetti alla Carbonera, not my fav but still yummy and Brian got a
seafood pasta that I can't remember the name of but it was Delish! Sadly our time in that part of town was cut super short because my boots
were digging into my heels making it super difficult to walk and Brians sweatshirt was soaked and making him freeze...

We made it back just in time before another downpour but were stuck indoors for a couple hours unable to see the rest of what was on our agenda for our last full day... :o( Around 1030pm we made our last attempt to see Time Square again, do a tiny bit of shopping and get our last look at NYC.

1 comment:

Courtney N said...

Oh man I love NYC! When we went a few years ago it was supposed to be in the 60s but it was actually in the 40s and so so cold! I'm glad you guys had fun!