Sunday, December 23, 2007

It's Almost Christmas!!

This past week went by so slow! I swear I am just like a kid when it comes to Christmas! I can't sleep on Christmas Eve, I count the days, hours, minutes until we can open presents and I have to restrain myself from peeking or shaking the gifts under the tree....

Despite all of that, I wanted to share this story with you that happened at my work...

My boss and I wanted to do something charitable for the holidays and decided to Adopt-a-Family for Christmas. I googled "adopt a family", and the first link I clicked on was the Cerebral Palsy Foundation. We were able to adopt a family of 5 with two teenage boys and one 28 month girl with Cerebral Palsy, that was sharing a one bedroom apartment and had no money for groceries let alone Christmas.

The Cerebral Palsy Foundation gave us a wish list that the parents put together. These selfless parents listed clothes and school supplies for their children and a set of movie tickets to take the whole family out. I sent out an email to everyone in our company 3 weeks before the deadline to bring the gifts. After 2 weeks had past we had only one item to give this family, a small fleece blanket. My manager and I decided to give everyone a little nudge, we made small pieces of paper, each with one item the family asked for. At the end of the second day every piece of paper was gone. On the final day of collecting items we had a huge outpouring of gifts for this small family. We had collected lots of toys, clothes, jackets, shoes, backpacks, school supplies, blankets, games, movie tickets, gift certificates, and grocery certificates, we were even able to provide the family with a fully decorated Christmas tree. The next day my manager and I delivered all of the gifts to the drop off location and our representative was over joyed and couldn't believe the amount of items that we collected for this family. It was really great seeing the look on Kai, our reps face, I can't even imagine the look on the family's faces on Christmas. We, as a company, are hoping to make this a tradition for years to come.

1 comment:

JoshandMegs said...

Desiree, I love that you did this. It is very close to my heart because my brother had Cerebral Palsy, as well as the girl I took care of in France. It means a lot to see others try to help in any way possible. Thank you.