Sunday, February 3, 2008

My little brother is all grown up and on a mission...

So last Tuesday, January 29, my brother Skylar boarded a plane at the John Wayne airport and headed off to serve his mission in Brazil. Normally when young men leave for a mission they go to the MTC in Provo, but Brazil has it's own MTC so he went straight there.

I met my parents and Skylar at In-N-Out around 11:00 AM for his last meal in the states. My mother was teary eyed even before we ordered and it made it harder for me to keep my composure. My Aunt Jamie and Uncle Alan showed up with two of their kids, Anna and Katie. :-)

After lunch Brian showed up and we had the privilege of driving Skylar to the airport. My parents got plane tickets so they could go in and wait with him and then watch his plane take off so they met us there.

I of course was a mess and when I gave Skylar my last huge for two years I lost my composure, but was surprised to see that I wasn't the only one, Skylar was crying too. I am so proud of him and his desire to serve a mission. He will be a great missionary and I cannot wait for his letters.

The next day I got a call from my dad seeing how I was, and came to find out that both him and my mom were taking it pretty hard. My dad said it was hard to drive home from the airport and that night they couldn't sleep. :-(

2 comments:

Abby said...

Oh I think that is the so sweet. We are so proud of Skylar for being such a good example to our boys. Noah has been talking none stop about his mission to Brazil since Skylar's farwell. I don't look forward to sending two boys out and hey maybe even a third! Well I do but it will be SO hard!

Tiersha said...

It is hard, but at the same time it's a wonderful feeling I think for parents knowing that their child is worthy enough to go and serve. What a great accomplishment as a parent!!! It will go by super fast! Time flies when you're having fun!!!